I grew up in Arkansas and I always heard..."What kinda Coke do ya want? We have Pepsi, Sprite, orange and rootbeer." I knew other places called it "pop" or "soda" but in Arkansas it was called "Coke" even if it was a Pepsi or a RC Cola! Growing up I seriously thought it was just a quirky Arkansas thing. By reading y'alls comments, I see that many other Southern states say the same thing. I've been away from Arkansas for many yrs now and wonder if they still call all colas a "Coke" ?
I loved reading y'alls comments on my last post...thanks for sharing!

Many Southerners say this Coke IS the "real thing" (World of Coke IS in Atlanta...been there) and refuse to drink Pepsi. I like Coke, but would choose a Pepsi over it any day. Well, actually, I'd rather have a cup of tea. However, I must have a "Coke" when I have a burger & fries! Other than that, it's sweet tea for me.


23 comments:
I'm with you...A COKE (the Real Thing) is what I prefer with a burger...or a pizza. But sweet tea with a lime is my beverage of choice...or water.
I always get a kick out of the different labels for "soft drinks"...That's what I grew up with calling COKES. (as opposed to "hard drinks", meaning alcoholic.
Jane (artfully graced)
We called them "pop" when I was growing up in the suburbs of Chicago. Everywhere else we've lived we called it "soda". And I'd like a Diet Coke, please.
I grew up enjoying Coke for most of my adult life and actually had to have it first thing most mornings in lieu of coffee.
Then something changed and now I cringe whenever I taste it and have switched to Dr. Pepper instead.
Please stop by my blog today to enter in the final chances for this weeks giveaway if you have time!
Love and Hugs ~ Kat
funny-My husband is from Alabama, and he will ONLY drink Coke. Me? Don't care, Pepsi, or Coke just fine for me!
I've never heard of other labels being referred to as "coke".. funny. ;O) I like coke, but only regular, not diet. I enjoy diet pepsi best.
It is Pop in our neck of the woods. I love a real Coke. Coke and a Big Mac, now that's what I'm talking about.
Susan
That's SO Southern!! It's like everyone around here referring to a refrigerator as a Frigidaire, which we all know is a brand.
Hello from Texas...We say soda here...Never know what kind..lol.
Have a great night!
I try not to drink sodas because I don't like them much but if I have to choose then I go for sprite or 7up. I'd prefer a glass of fresh fruit juice though.
Jai
I grew up in NYC but went to college out in Missouri and had the hardest time adjusting to people asking my what kind of "Coke" I wanted!!! They would laugh at me when I didn't understand. But now I know better. And I'll take a Diet Pepsi please. Great post!
Its Pepsi for me if and when I have a soft drink, these day I'm like you and love a sweet tea but nothing beats a tall icy glass of water with a splash of lemon or lime..hmmm...this is making me thirsty:)
Have a great day!
Hugs
Melly:)
Have you seen the "throwback" Pepsi and Mountain Dew bottles/cans they have for a short time? I think it is to promote the 40th anniv. of Mtn. Dew. Makes me feel old, I remember when these weren't "vintage" collectibles but everyday containers-HA! It is fun to read all the comments and see what everyone calls their "Coke" @lower Mich it is POP. Have a Blessed Day!Sue
I'm from Alabama, and we call all varieties "coke" too! My favorite coke would be Diet Sun Drop, which is only found in some regions of the United States. It's a citrus drink, similar to Mellow Yellow, but much better better. The old debate between Coca Cola and Pepsi has changed in my mind over the years. I used to only like Coca Cola, but in the past couple years, I've really started liking Diet Pepsi. Basically, I'll drink most all of them. What a fun post!
Yes, here in Mississippi, we say Coke. lol Now if I tell my hubby to get me a coke, I have to say Coke or Pepsi. For years I drank Dr.Pepper, since I quit Dr. Pepper, I have to explain for back then. We always knew if you said Coke you wanted a Dr.Pepper. But, now I drink Tea, whether it be Cold or Iced or Hot all day. Once in a while I'll drink a Coke, I mean a Pepsi. lol Have a lot of friends from the North and they say soda pop or soda or pop. Thank you for visiting Tea Time Tuesday.
Love this post. So true. "Coke" is the only thing to call it. Right?!
I am originally from Northern Indiana and we always said "pop".
I am a Coca Cola girl. Nothing else will do.
I grew up in Tn. saying "coke" for everything, and my parents (who are from Tx.) never corrected me. But, after I met my husband (who is a military brat) started saying 'soda'. It was weird in SC to see more Pepsi than Coke...but didn't Pepsi get it's origin in Charlotte?
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll be back to visit yours!
G.R.I.T.S.!!! :D
I grew up in Alabama and any carbonated drink was called a Coke! I love the Real Thang tho!! :) Now I drink diet Cherry Dr. Pepper! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
In our house, Pepsi wasn't allowed. My Dad said it was unamerican...is that not the funniest thing! So, I never really liked Pepsi. I prefer Coke but am actually addicted to Mountain Dew.
I love Diet Coke. That's my favorite, but I'll drink Diet Pepsi. In fact, I'm drinking a Diet Pepsi now. That's what's in the machine at work.
I usually want an unsweetened tea for my "coke." lol ~ Round here people often say, "What kinda soda do yall want?" I say unsweetened tea... and then put my splenda or equal in it. lol
You have me gigglin... it's all nuts isn't it?
Here... I'm handin you yer CUPPA tea... Oh and I made ya cookies too. :D
Great blog and wonderful post! I KNOW what you mean about us Southern girls and COKE! Love Ice Tea too and Dr. Pepper~!
Growing up in PA, we drank pop. I do recall my friends in TX calling it all Coke. That always made me giggle.
I like Diet Dr. Pepper more then Diet Coke, and never, ever Diet Pepsi...ew. That said, I just bought a bunch of Pepsi products. They were on sale, and guests can drink 'em!
I can't wait to hear more about the airboat. Like I said, you are all way too brave.
Oh, and as for central FL being southern, Orlando isn't, but everywhere else is. LOL Then again, my daughter has lived in Orlando for over three years and she has changed. I am not so sure in southern ways!
Post a Comment