Friday, March 20, 2009

Covered bridges of Kentucky

I just love old covered bridges; they are so nostalgic. Do you see the lines on the side of the bridge? Those are flood water lines from yrs past. They were covered to protect the wood of the actual bridge from the weather. Some Bloggers have asked if I'm from Kentucky...no, I'm not. It is the closest "South" to where I live now. I truly miss the South and this little trip helped this southern girl more than you'll know. Kentucky was a nice place to visit...even on such a rainy summers day as this.


22 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

The covered bridges looks so old worldly and magical...thank you for sharing.

April said...

I love old covered bridges! I've never had the opportunity to visit Kentucky, but after seeing your pictures, I just might have to go!

Brooke said...

my hubs loves covered bridges. we have several paintings in our house of them, since we don't have many in our area

Wendy said...

Those old covered bridges are beautiful and special. I especially like the picture with the old church in the background. I'm glad you had a nice trip.
Smiles,
Wendy

Stacey said...

You are right, they are nostalgic. I've never actually seen one in person...I don't think. Very neat!

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a unique thing these old bridges are. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos.

Have A Fantastic Friday
from A Raggedy Roberta Anne

Debbie Petras said...

Oh, I love those photos. Although I've always been a city girl, I love to visit the country. Hmm ...maybe one day I'll actually live in the country? Anyway, I certainly liked your photos.

Miss Janice said...

Ooh, I love covered bridges...but, I don't think I have ever seen one in real life!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What neat pictures! Thank you for sharing them!

Cathy said...

I love the covered bridges. Thanks for sharing these pictures. Have a great weekend.

kari and kijsa said...

beautiful!! Love this! We just wanted to say Thank you!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

BEAUTIFUL photo, when we go south to Alabama, my family seeks out spots like this, and covered bridges can be found in the most scenic of places!
Happy Sunday!
Joni

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi --love the covered bridges pictures. I've seen covered bridges in New England and in Virginia, so it is great fun to see some in Kentucky.

Thanks for visiting That Old House; I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope you'll come back! I know I'll be back to visit you, too.

Cass

Lorrie said...

What a great post this is. I love covered bridges too and visited. They are beautiful and evoke thoughts of a simpler time.

the voice of melody said...

Your pictures are beautiful! There's something so special about covered bridges.

Diane said...

I have long been a fan of the old nostalgic covered bridges. I seek them out wherever I go and photograph them when I can. On my recent trip to Iowa, I so wanted to get over to Madison Co., IA to photograph some of the bridges used in the movie "The Bridge of Madison County" but unfortunately didn't make it. Your photos are wonderful. I'm so happy you had a good trip!

Diane

Sue said...

What a beautiful covered bridge. I'm a northern wanna be southern belle so I know what you mean about needing a southern fix occasionally.
Hugs,
Sue

Lindsay-ann said...

I have never seen or heard of covered bridges so I found this post very interesting. I would love to visit Kentucky one day it looks a lovely state.
Lindsay

Jena Williams, Not So Shabby Interiors said...

What a beautiful blog and I LOVE old covered bridges! So excited to see the post! Hope you and your family have a blessed Sunday!

Jena

CB said...

I love covered bridges. I live out west and a couple years ago found many covered bridges on the back roads of Oregon of all places.
These ones on your blog are beautiful!
I am loving your blog!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Love the pictures - especially of the covered bridges. Don't have any of those around here, but would love to see some someday. The pictures remind me of a time, somewhere in the past, where things were simpler, friends were closer, and childhoods were sweet.

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

where about in Kentucky were you? I'm a Kentuckian myself.